Table of Contents
- 1 Disclaimer
- 2 Important Information
- 3 Downloads
- 4 Prerequisites
- 5 How to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus?
- 6 FAQ
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus & Install TWRP Recovery? Rooting your device open up doors to tons of modifications those are not possible without rooting. Samsung’s latest devices Galaxy S9 came with plenty of new features, but those are also not enough for some people. They want to make impossible things possible. Such as, you can not play YouTube video in background in official app. However, rooting your device can make this thing possible. Moreover, you can do many other things. So, if you want to root your Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ then this tutorial is for you. I have described rooting process for Galaxy S9 step wise with screenshots. There are basically three steps to root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus as listed below.
Rooting an Android device may Void your device warranty or if rooting process is not done properly, your device may also get bricked. I am not at all responsible for any damages caused to your device while rooting. Moreover, you will no longer receive official software updates as your core OS will be modified.
- This rooting process is only works with Exynos variants (Model No.: SM-G960F/FD/N/X). This method is not compatible with Snapdragon models. So, if you have a Snapdragon powered S9 (Model No.: SM-G965U/U1/W/0/2/8/SC), then this tutorial isn’t for you.
- Make sure, you have done the complete backup of your device, as it can completly erase your data. Click here to read complete guide Android backup.
- Samsung Odin Tool
- TWRP Image – For Samsung Galaxy S9+ | Samsung Galaxy S9
- Download DM-Verity and Force-Encrypt Disabler
- ElementalX kernel for Galaxy S9/S9 Plus
- SuperSU 2.82 SR5
- Your device’s battery level should be above 80%.
- Access to Computer with Windows OS.
- Make sure, Samsung USB drivers are installed on that Computer. Click here to download.
- A compatible USB Cable.
How to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus?
Please follow the following below steps carefully if you wanted to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus properly.
Enable Developer Options
First off, go to Settings, and head to the About phone option where you will find Build No. Tap on this seven times to enable the Developer option.
Enable OEM Unlock in Settings
Go to Settings > Developer Options. Near the “OEM Unlock“, you can find a small toggle button. Enable the button.
Install TWRP Recovery on Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
1. Firstly, extract Samsung Odin file and run
2. Connect your phone to your PC via USB Cable.
3. Power off your device completely.
4. Hold the Volume Down, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously.
5. There will a warning screen. Press the Volume Up button on that screen to continue the Download Mode.
6. In your Odin tool, you will see a log message “Added” and ID:COM port will be active as well. If nothing coming up then check the FAQ below.
7. Now, click on Options tab. Make sure, Auto Reboot and Re-Partition boxes are not selected.
8. Now, click on AP button and select the TWRP recovery
.tar file for your device.
9. Lastly, hit the Start button to continue.
10. Disconnect your phone from USB cable.
Boot Galaxy S9/S9 Plus into TWRP Recovery
1. Hold the Volume Down, Bixby, and Power button simultaneously until the phone powers off. As soon as the screen shuts down, release the Volume Down key and hold the Volume Up button while still holding the Bixby and Power buttons.
2. You will be boot into TWRP recovery. Tap on “Keep Read Only” button on the ‘Unmodified System Partition’ screen. DO NOT swipe to all modifications.
3. Follow the next guide. Don’t do anything else.
Format Data in TWRP and Disable Encryption
1. In TWRP recovery, tap on [A] Wipe button, then tap on [B] Format Data.
2. Now, type [C] Yes and hit Enter button.
3. Once its finished, go back to TWRP main screen.
4. Tap on Mount and select Enable MTP.
5. Connect your device to your PC via USB cable.
6. Transfer the
Disable_Dm-Verity_ForceEncrypt_12.08.2018.zip file to your phone’s internal storage.
7. Disconnect your device.
8. On TWRP Recovery screen, tap on Install.
9. Navigate to the internal storage and select the
10. Swipe the button to flash the ZIP.
Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and Galaxy S9 Plus
1. Connect the phone to the PC using the USB cable.
2. In TWRP recovery screen, go to Mount and tap on Enable MTP.
SR5-SuperSU-v2.82-SR5-20171001224502.zip file to your device’s internal storage.
4. Now, go back to your TWRP recovery screen and tap on Install button.
5. Navigate to your phone’s internal storage and select the
6. Now, tap on Add more ZIPs button and select
7. Lastly, swipe the button on the screen to flash the ZIP files..
8. When the flashing process will finished, tap on the Reboot System button.
Congrats! You have successfully rooted your Samsung Galaxy S9/S9+ phone.
If nothing happens then it means you haven’t install Android drivers or its outdated. Try reinstalling them from here. Still not works then try to use different USB port.
Please Like, Share and Comment your valuable thoughts 🙂
Thanks for patronizing Ultimate Tech. This post is about, "How to Root Samsung Galaxy S9 and S9 Plus? Install TWRP Recovery" and December 14, 2018. I am sure your visit to us must be quite satisfying and in line with your expectations from us. Just in case, it’s not as you expected from us or if you are facing any problem, kindly forward your feedback’s directly to us by leaving a Comment below. And, get assured response from my side. Your feedback’s and suggestions are extremely valuable to us. This Post is written by Harman Singh Hira. There is not any source, if any, then already mentioned so Copying or using this post’s content for your own site is not allowed. If anyone do so, get ready for facing DMCA. Please, if you like this post then share on your social networking sites. Assuring you of our best service always.
Image(s) Credit: Samsung